Excerpts from The British Medical Journal
Rachel C Vreeman, assistant professor of paediatrics, faculty investigator 1,2, Aaron E Carroll, associate professor of paediatrics, director1,2
With flowers and leaves of red, green, and white, poinsettias are widely used in holiday decorations. Even though public health officials have reported that poinsettias are safe, many continue to believe this is a poisonous plant.16
In an analysis of 849 575 plant exposures reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers,17 none of the 22 793 cases involving poinsettia resulted in considerable poisoning.17 No one died from exposure to or ingestion of poinsettia, and most (96%) did not even require medical treatment. In 92 of the cases, children ingested substantial quantities of poinsettias, but none needed medical treatment, and toxicologists concluded that poinsettia exposures and ingestions can be treated without referral to a healthcare facility.17 Another study, looking at poinsettia ingestion by rats, could not find a toxic amount of poinsettia, even at amounts that would be the equivalent of 500-600 poinsettia leaves or nearly a kilogram of sap.18
This is a wonderful site, filled with all types of information.
For years I’ve been telling anybody that would listen. That in my opinion the only way a dog could get hurt by poinsettias, is if he was run over by the truck delivering them.
It makes me happy to see that there are other people questioning what is commonly referred to as “common logic”. Now we just have to hope, the dog behavior and training community follow suit.
The Spirit Dog
Filed under: Breaking our bad teachings, Dog Training Myths, What dogs can eat, your dogs safety | Tagged: Aaron E Carroll, BMJ, British medical journal, dog safety, dogs and poisonous plants, poinsettias dogs, pointsettia toxic, Rachel C Vreeman, The Spirit Dog, trucks |