I see some puppy owners are still trying to housebreak their new puppy with a crate, while there at work all day. Big Mistake !!
The Facts :
- Puppies after the age of five weeks, will seek out a bathroom spot away from where they lay down. (Doesn’t help a whole lot when your puppy is locked in his crate)
- Puppies will have to go to the bathroom every one to four hours depending on varying conditions.
- Inherited behavior, ” natural instincts “, precondition the puppy to keep his area clean. (Again, that pesky locked crate thing seems to be the problem here.)
- None of that matters one bit if your not home to let your puppy out of his crate, when he has to go.
- Preconditioning or not, your puppy will go to the bathroom in his crate.
How to solve this dilemma :
- Make sure your available to take your puppy outside, every hour or two.
- Use a large dog crate or puppy pen. So when he does go to the bathroom when your not home, he doesn’t have to lay in it.
The Spirit Dog
To successfully housebreak your new puppy, read the following articles.