If you have to hire a dog trainer make sure they address the problem you are having with your dog, immediately.
** The following is a warning list.** If the dog trainer starts with any of this stuff, boot them out of your house, right away. Because they can not help you or your dog.
- If they train with treats or some type of food reward. Or clicker training
- If they train with negative reinforcement.
- If they train using an exercise training regiment.
- If they start off teaching any form of basic obedience training.
- If they talk about themselves to much.
- If they tell you , ” I specialize in this breed of dog”.
- If they can’t show you more than one way to solve a specific problem.
- If they train exclusively with a shock collar.
- If they tell you Wolves and Dogs are different.
And a couple of other things you should also be aware of.
- Get the cost of the dog training up front, over the phone.
- The dog evaluation, whether it is free or you are charged for it. Is just so the dog trainer can see how you live, so they can figure out how much they can milk you, on the training job. *****
- A dog trainer that knows dogs, doesn’t have to meet the dog first to evaluate him, or you, for that matter.
- Do not sign a contract. It’s only purpose is to make you think twice, before firing them.
- Don’t worry they will take your money on a per session basis. If they really care, at all about helping you out. If not, find somebody else.
If the dog training is going to be successful. You should see immediate results that first session. With you handling your dog, Not the trainer handling him. The only time the trainer should be handling your dog, is at the very beginning of the session. And that should be just to prove to you, that your dog is capable of acting in a manner that you like.
Oh yea, one more thing. If they show you how well trained their dog is, then tell you, ” you too can have a dog like this”. Laugh quietly and tell them no thanks. What do you care about that. You just want to solve whatever problem your dog is doing.
Good luck in you search, Its not going to be easy.
The Spirit Dog
Filed under: About Dog Trainers, pets, dog behavior, your dogs safety | Tagged: before you hire a dof trainer, dog behavior, dog trainers, Dog Training, free dog behavior, free dog trainers, free puppy trainers, free puppy training, hiring a dog trainer, puppy training |