For some reason, we as dog trainers love to tell dog owners what their dog can do, and what their dog can’t do.
- Don’t let your dog go out of the door in front of you.
- Don’t let your dog walk in front of you.
- Don’t let your dog sleep on your bed.
- Don’t let your dog on your furniture.
- Don’t let your dog put their paw on you.
- Don’t let your dog push up against you.
- Don’t let your dog eat before you.
- Don’t let your dog jump on you.
- Don’t let your dog eat grass.
- Don’t do this. Don’t do that.
Most of these thing’s are taught under the pretense, that if your dog does any of them. He’s trying to show his dominance over you. Sadly this couldn’t be further from the truth. Since there are like a gazillion dogs living in homes, there are a lot people that actually have an alpha dog. They are usually the dogs that the pet owners get complimented on for being a calm, well mannered dogs. The reason is simple, an alpha is a relaxed and confident dog, there’s no need for him to act like a maniac.
And by the way, There is nothing carved in stone about what your dog can or can’t do, in your home or with you. It’s entirely your decision, on what’s acceptable or not for your dog.
Have yourself a great day.
The Spirit Dog